Asparagus and Cheese Quiche- Wheat free
This recipe is inspired by “The Healthy Foodie” Click on her name to view the original recipe.
First off, here are some more pictures from the past month. This time around it’s from Phoenix, Arizona.
The last picture is from Red Rock County. I def. got that Western movie feeling. Cowboys were you at?
Back to the recipe. Due to there being no gluten to bind together the dough like it would be in a normal wheat flour dough, its a bit tricky to work with. Wet your hands, and don’t roll out the dough, just use your hands to get it into the dish.
For the Crust
- 1 cup (240 ml)buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup (1 dl)almond flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup ( 1 dl)kefir ( I used cultured goat milk kefir)
For the Filling
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 dl)nutritional yeast ( NB! This is not the same yeast as the one you use to bake with)
- 1/2 cup (1 dl)coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb (450 gr) asparagus
- 1 cup (240 ml) cheese or your choice
For the crust
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg and kefir together and set aside.
- Mix buckwheat flour, almond flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar in a separate bowl, and whisk until well incorporated.
- Mix the egg mixture and the flour mix together, and knead dough for about one minute. Cover with plastic, and refrigerate for 20 min.
- Put the dough in you deep dish, medium sized, and use your fingers to press out the dough in the dish
- Remember due to the no gluten in it, this dough can not be lifted or moved in the dish in one piece.
- Set aside!
- Preheat oven to 375F ( about 190 C)
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for about 30 seconds. and then rinse them in cold water. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs,coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and curry. Whisk until well combined.
4. Lay the asparagus in the reserved crust. Sprinkle the cheese over , and pour the egg mix over.
5. Put in the oven, and cook for 40-45 min. Or until eggs are set, and top is nice and golden.
6. Let cool off for 5 – 10 minutes before cutting.
I served this with a salad: spinach, tomatoes, avocado and balsamico.
I hope you have a great Friday! No matter were in the world you are! Yeay, the weekend is just around the corner. What are you guys up to this weekend?